Better Church Elders Episode 1: The Bible and Eldership
What does the Bible have to say about our function as elders? What is it that we are meant to be and do?
A 23-minute conversation online between Charles Hewlett and George Wieland.
As an eldership or board, discuss the following question together after watching the video:
- How are the functions of oversight and care being exercised in our fellowship/church?
- How does our church recognise people who can model authentic discipleship?
- In our appointments how may we give due weight to both competence for tasks and qualities of life and character?
Here is one activity for your eldership team to complete:
Over the next month, on your own as elders/board members, consider all of the people who are part of your local faith community/church that you are part of – perhaps go through the phone directory or database. Ask the following questions and see if some names emerge. In a month compare your names with the other elders in your group:
- Who are the people in our church we can trust to see God together?
- Who in our faith community gain respect and trust?
- Who do we recognise among us who are embodying the faith?
- Who is not around the eldership table that should be?
If you would like to go a little deeper with this topic, George Wieland has provided a Bible Study that looks at all of the references to elders in the New Testament. This reading is a 6-page PDF that can be downloaded by clicking on the link below.